The Beginnings of a 2019 'Capsule Wardrobe'...

In 2014,  Caroline Rector decided that for a year she would stick to 37 core pieces within her wardrobe. Thus, the Capsule Wardrobe was born. 5 Years later the term is still going strong, however there is now a little room for adjustments to fit your own lifestyle. I often see people creating this traditional capsule wardrobe, the ones you see on Pinterest. Just one or two items for each section of your wardrobe in all neutral colours, a sorry sight. Surely that can't reflect everyones style?

This is not how I think that a capsule wardrobe should work. I believe a Capsule wardrobe should contain items you know you will wear again and again,  true to who you are and hopefully made well enough to last a good few years! They can include a jumper you've had for 5 years, but know you don't want to give up, a pair of boots you found in a charity shop or even a primark shirt which has seen you through many interviews. If you love it, and can give it enough room to be worn, then great! You've begun your new wardrobe. 

This is how I have decided to create my Capsule wardrobe. I'm only buying pieces I know will be worn time and time again and aren't just a trend piece. Don't get me wrong, I love following trends, but am I really going to wear a fur coat enough to justify the price? I've made a list of the five key points I will think of when making purchases from now on. These are:

1. Is it made of sustainable materials?
2. Will it fit in with the other pieces in my wardrobe? 
3. Is the price justifiable?
4. Does it FIT well?
5. Is it too trend lead? Will I still love it in 5 years time?

Of course, everyones style is always evolving. Even if you buy the most basic item you could end up not enjoying wearing it in a few years. Fashion evolution is always happening. Just being mindful of what I buy is the first step to helping the planet and myself! Not feeling a pressure to keep up with trends or what everyone else is wearing is a huge wight lifted off my shoulders.

I hope you enjoyed reading this and it inspired you to think about what you add in your wardrobe from now on! 

Grace. 

Comments

Popular Posts