I'll give you the sun.

I used to be a big reader. From the ages of 6-11 i'd come home after school, sit and read until it was time for bed. (Even then id stay up with my torch and continue reading)
However since I've gotten a bit older reading has taken a backseat in my life. I do still read when I'm on holiday and have to take at least 5 as I could happily read a 300 page book in a day if you give me it. So, thats why for my birthday I asked for a book called 'I'll give you the sun'. Many people have raved about this book and it's got the same author as my all time favourite book 'The sky is everywhere', Jandy Nelson.  

This book is about two twins, Jude and Noah who are extremely close until a devastating incident happens and drives them apart. Its set in the current day and their past which the chapters switch between and the two twins point of views. Its kind of hard to get into at first which I also found with Nelsons' other novel; but by the time you're 3 chapters in the book has you hooked. The storyline is beautifully inspiring and emotional whilst the characters seem so real its impossible to not feel like you're living the story with them. There are a lot of unanswered questions within the book but by the last chapter they're answered and you understand how amazing the novel is.

My online criticism of the book is if you aren't someone who likes what I would describe as abstract writing, this book isn't for you. You have to go with what Nelson is trying to say within her book and use your imagination too, for example 'In his hand was the open suitcase and out of it spilled a whole sky of stars.' obviously you cannot spill a sky of stars but you just have to imagine the feeling behind those words and embrace them whole hardily or you'll just end up bored. 

I cannot wait to read any other books by Jandy Nelson and hope you'll give some of her writing a chance too. Grace x

Comments

Popular Posts