#SecondhandSeptember

I'm taking the pledge and being a part of 'Secondhand September'.

This was created by Oxfam and is a way to get consumers to raise awareness of buying secondhand, donating preloved clothing and being a bit more sustainable in their purchasing habits! 


Being a Fashion student myself the impact of the industry on our planet is highlighted everyday, fast fashion is at its peak and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. The new age of influencers has directly affected the consumer and this new mindset of 'wear once and throw away' has become a norm. This is not something which can continue unless we want to increase the rate in which the planet is dying.

During Secondhand September you take the pledge to only buy pre-loved clothing, whether it be going into charity shops such as Oxfam or buying online on eBay and Depop. It also encourages to donate clothing rather than throwing it away and going into landfill. 


Personally, I saw just how much I was buying and only wearing items once or twice, despite promising myself I would 'wear it all the time'! As soon as I saw the pledge being advertised I knew I had to give it a go; not just for the planet but for my savings too! I've also managed to get a few of my family members to take the pledge so it may be helpful to get someone to take the pledge with you. I've already got a few bags of clothing ready to donate to a better home, who will wear them all the time! 


After September is over I encourage everyone to rethink the way they buy and what they are buying...Do you really need another pair of shoes, or will the ones you already own still look great? How much are you buying and what will the cost per wear be? Looking into trying a capsule wardrobe for a month is another great option for when this month has ended. 


I hope this gets you thinking about how you shop and what you can do to help save the planet and yourself some money in the future.


Grace.





Click here to take the pledge: https://oxfamapps.org/secondhandseptember/.

Comments

Popular Posts